May 25, 2020
(George County Center)
Students will receive specialized instruction in certification areas required by the power industry.
Students should contact the George County Center Counselor by June 1 for August admission.
Applicants must meet general admission requirements as well as the following special requirements:
- 18 years of age
- high school diploma or GED
- valid Mississippi driver’s license
- motor vehicle report with good driving record (for CDL)
- DOT physical with a DOT substance test
- enjoy outdoor work
- physically able to climb
- COMPASS assessment with Pre-Algebra score of 34 or Algebra score of 21, Reading score of 74, Writing score of 60, or Enhanced ACT English, Reading, and Math minimum of 16.
- Obtain a written permit for a Class A Mississippi Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) from a Department of Public Safety (DPS) office that offers CDL. The application cost is $26 and the license fee is $13. A CDL manual that you can study before taking this written test is available at www.dps.state.ms.us or you can purchase a manual for $2 from a DPS office.
The Apprentice Electric Lineman program of study is a one semester 600 hour program designed to prepare students to become entry level workers for the electrical power transmission and distribution industry. The curriculum focuses on basic safety, basic electricity, pole climbing and bucket truck operation, along with other basic skills needed for entry level work in the utilities field.
All students completing a career and technical program must complete either the MS-CPAS (Mississippi Career Planning and Assessment System) or a MGCCC Board approved Technical Attainment Assessment where applicable. See your advisor for further details.
Major Units of Instruction
Skills taught will include the following:
Basic Computer Applications
Basic Electricity, Codes, etc.
Basic Electricity I
Basic Electricity II
National Electric Code Course
National Electric Safety Code Course
RUS Specifications (Overhead and Underground)
Mississippi Class A Commercial Driver’s License
CPR, First Aid, and Blood borne Pathogens
Hazardous Material Training and Material Safety Data Sheets
Job Site Safety (Confined Space, Shoring, etc.)
Personal Protective Equipment Rigging
Power Company Specific
Pole Top Rescue
Bucket Truck System Protection and Operation
Basic Transformer Change Out from Pole
Not applicable for Apprentice Electric Lineman