Feb 20, 2020  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

University Transfer Preparation

University Transfer Preparation is designed to meet the needs of students who expect to transfer to a four-year college or university after graduating from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.  A student who intends to transfer to a four-year college or university after attending MGCCC should follow a college or university bachelor's degree program of study.  While attending MGCCC, a student following a transfer program of study has the opportunity to earn an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree  and can typically transfer up to one-half of the total semester hours required for a bachelor's degree at a four-year college or university.  

Students enrolling in university transfer programs should consult the college catalog and any applicable articulation agreements for the four-year college or university they plan to attend for assistance in planning the courses to be taken at MGCCC.  An MGCCC student may transfer into any of the bachelor's degree programs offered at public universities in Mississippi.  Many similar bachelor's degree programs are also available at private four-year institutions in Mississippi and at public and private colleges and universities in other states.    Courses required for these bachelor's degree programs vary from one institution to another, so the specific course requirements are not listed below.  Students should seek advisement from an MGCCC academic advisor to determine the appropriate courses. In addition, the online Mississippi Articulation and Transfer Tool (MATT) http://matttransfertool.com/ allows students to determine the courses required for specific degrees at the state's public universities and colleges.  University transfer preparation leads to the MGCCC Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degrees.

Numbering of Courses/Student Classification

Courses are identified by name and number. Those numbered from 1001 to 1999 are considered freshman courses and those from 2001 to 2999, sophomore courses. The courses offered in Developmental Studies are not designed for transfer credit (these courses include  MAT 0123 , MAT 1233 , and ENG 0114  ). Developmental courses are not considered in calculating GPA and semester hours to meet graduation requirements. A student who has earned less than 24 semester hours is designated a freshman; one who has earned 24 semester hours or more and 48 quality points is considered a sophomore. As a general rule, a student should choose courses in accordance with his/her class designation.